Skip to main content

Running Towards Life

There is man of my acquaintance who was always in a hurry. In a hurry to eat, to sleep as soon as his head hit the pillow and finish all his work (ya like that is possible!!). So when he went on holiday, for instance, he would want to see EVERYTHING and always ended up enjoying NOTHING.

The reason he was in such haste was because he didn't want to be left behind. He belonged to the school of thought that believes in life being a race. Not just any race but a rat race.

He was aware that by being in a rush constantly he did miss out on simple pleasures like relishing a sumptuous meal, a bright sunny day or even good conversation. What touched a sore spot was the realisation that there was more.

He realised he couldn't be sincerely happy for another person unless he was involved in the scene. This was most difficult to accept because when he looked at his life he did lead a wholesome life and thus couldn't believe that there was any underlying discontent. He was turning into an egoist unwittingly and with a terrible urgency.

He learnt he was earnestly pursuing people who never gave him a second thought and relationships that were fickle which left him winded. 

Inspite of meticulous planning, a lot of things went wrong when it got down to execution, for he never enjoyed anything he did. Where was the time?

But when he did get wise to this situation he decided to slow down and let go a little. For one he is less fidgety now and a much happier person. 

When he told me this I wondered if this was the story of my life as well. I sighed knowing it wasn't very different. Deciding to consciously decelerate and take it easy I wished myself Godspeed.

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplation

It’s quite impossible to explain the impact some incidents in life have on you. Suddenly, the things that seemed the most important till today become insignificant and man begins to appreciate and reconsider his stand. So unaware a being has Providence made Man that he lives every day without having the slightest hunch of what might happen the very next minute. That makes him adept at complaining, fighting and hating another. Be it on a larger level- terrorism or at a more identifiable level- being jealous of a friend. We know how it is all going to end and baffling enough don’t know when. Then why do we put ourselves (me included) through all this drama of love, hate, sorrow, anger? Why is it that we crave for appreciation? Why is it that we want to have it all when we very well realize it’s not for keeps? Why is it that we always feel that we deserve more? Why is it that even when a friend or a relative is going through a bad patch it’s still ‘I’ that matters? Why is that the...

Once Upon A Time when I was ashamed of myself

It happened a few months ago when I was attending a training session for the job I had newly got. There were 3 Americans, 1 English, 1 Austrian and of course 1 Indian (me) attending the session. The task was to write down the names of all the things that we could find in the room we were sitting in, in our mother tongue. Sounded easy enough at first, but led to extreme embarrassment when I could name just 17 and everyone else in the room came up with 70 in a minute’s time. I always took pride in the fact that my English was good. But what a slap in the face it was, when for the life in me, I couldn’t figure out what we called a table in Tamil! While recuperating from the serious damage caused by this incident I began thinking… Most people associate culture and history with India. It is incredible that we have so many different religions, traditions and values. And not to forget the multitude of languages. I have often heard that what scientists in the west discovered years l...

MOMMY DEAREST

I wasn’t really the favorite child and rightly so because I wasn’t docile or obedient. I’d like to believe I was unconventional, for various reasons. And it was in such troubled times that I found a confidant within my family. I cannot say how or why she had so much faith in me. She was always much forward of her times and so stood by me through thick and thin. Mom never thought I was being unreasonable or demanding. I am sure many of us consider our mothers as very special people who are a very important part of our lives. But it is a whole other thing to establish trust. I would say my mother had me trapped. She believed me so much that I could not dream of letting her down.  Before I made any decisions I would first thing think about how she would react to it. So while making me independent she made me responsible too. After having my sis, when Mom was in the family way after 8 years she badly wanted a boy. Maybe that’s why I am a little tomboyish. It could be because ...