Skip to main content

You Before Me

I am someone who is very easily misunderstood. Maybe it’s the tone of my voice or the way I look/stare. This has led to people telling me that I am rude or angry when I have just been enthusiastic or eager. At first I was outright rebellious then as I grew older (but definitely not wiser) I started getting very conscious. I walked around like I carried the world on my shoulders. In effect I was the butterfly that flapped its wings at the wrong time to cause a hurricane at the other end of the world!

It has taken me 33 revolutions around the sun to get a grip and understand that it’s not always about me. In fact it never really is. A few weeks back I went to the dry cleaners, people I have known a long time and have always been cordial. But that particular day the man was not himself and was rude. My immediate thought process was as follows:

“Didn’t I greet him right? Did I say something wrong? Did I ignore him the last time we had a conversation? Is it because I am not a regular customer?” I mean I could go on but you get the gist. Then in my mind I started defending myself and blaming the world for the cruelty that is meted out to a perfectly good human being like me.

In reality however it was just that he was having a bad day. An argument with his wife, a financial situation, sickness in the family, I don’t know for sure and it isn’t important. What is relevant though is that it wasn’t because of anything I did, said or thought. I take myself way too seriously. Unnecessarily at that.

I believe the root of this self obsession comes from fear. Fear of what people think. Fear of getting it wrong. Fear of people laughing at you. But if you really think about it who has the time to think about you when everyone is busy thinking about themselves!

Life is tough (even with all the fun, love, happiness and more) and sometimes it gets to you. Everyone has their fair (unfair) share of responsibilities, failures, heartbreak to handle. So if your friend is not responding to your msgs pick up the phone and call them If you feel someone is patronising just let them be for a while. Stop touching your face, taming your unruly hair or looking at the mirror for the nth time. Remember no one is looking and no one really cares.  

Believe you me nothing is more freeing. It makes it easier for you to forgive yourself. You will learn to be at peace with yourself. This gives you time instead to be nice, help someone out, appreciate a good gesture and be the better person. Not for someone else but for yourself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplation

It’s quite impossible to explain the impact some incidents in life have on you. Suddenly, the things that seemed the most important till today become insignificant and man begins to appreciate and reconsider his stand. So unaware a being has Providence made Man that he lives every day without having the slightest hunch of what might happen the very next minute. That makes him adept at complaining, fighting and hating another. Be it on a larger level- terrorism or at a more identifiable level- being jealous of a friend. We know how it is all going to end and baffling enough don’t know when. Then why do we put ourselves (me included) through all this drama of love, hate, sorrow, anger? Why is it that we crave for appreciation? Why is it that we want to have it all when we very well realize it’s not for keeps? Why is it that we always feel that we deserve more? Why is it that even when a friend or a relative is going through a bad patch it’s still ‘I’ that matters? Why is that the

Once Upon A Time when I was ashamed of myself

It happened a few months ago when I was attending a training session for the job I had newly got. There were 3 Americans, 1 English, 1 Austrian and of course 1 Indian (me) attending the session. The task was to write down the names of all the things that we could find in the room we were sitting in, in our mother tongue. Sounded easy enough at first, but led to extreme embarrassment when I could name just 17 and everyone else in the room came up with 70 in a minute’s time. I always took pride in the fact that my English was good. But what a slap in the face it was, when for the life in me, I couldn’t figure out what we called a table in Tamil! While recuperating from the serious damage caused by this incident I began thinking… Most people associate culture and history with India. It is incredible that we have so many different religions, traditions and values. And not to forget the multitude of languages. I have often heard that what scientists in the west discovered years l

Do you have time?

Now does this happen with you? You are busy, have hardly any time to breathe and have a million things on your mind! But then suddenly out of nowhere you think of all the things you could do, had you just a breather. I for one seem to shine with creativity, come up with a million topics to write, new recipes to cook, oh! And that cupboard of mine that needs to be cleaned! Sigh if only I had the time. Finally Chronos smiles upon me giving me a weekend or sometimes even more. But then I can’t seem to recollect and I wonder. What was it that I had to write about? What did I have to try with cooking? And what about my cupboard?  Also it’s about having the accessories to work with. Like a MacBook pro wouldn’t hurt you know. If anything it’ll be such a motivation to write! Then the devil that my mind is begins to grumble and this is how I manifest it ‘I have nothing to do. I am bored’. And when I am bored what do i feel like doing? Nothing and what is the only thing I wish I had? Shock