Skip to main content

Growing Up With Children

I was still in high school when my sister had her first baby. As cliché as it sounds I was over the moon. Consequently I played mother very enthusiastically and believed I was doing much better than her biological mother. Ergo the idea that I was great with kids took root. Now about 20 years later, it turns out I was right. I am great with kids. Just not with my own kids.    

Your children are essentially you.

My children are a smaller but truer version of me. And no I am not proud. When I see my daughter handling a tense situation the way I would (which is lose my mind and wring my hands) I do exactly that - lose my mind and wring my hands. Because why would I want her to inherit the “bad traits”? As parents aren’t we trying to raise children who are well rounded and happy? (Read don’t mess up as much as we did.) But children learn essentially through imitation. What they see they reproduce till they are grown enough to have an opinion of their own. 

Now this forces me to analyse my actions and behaviour, things I have knowingly or unknowingly picked up over the past 32 yrs of my life. As if the very uncomfortable pregnancy, excruciating labour, unending hours of breastfeeding and innumerable sleepless nights weren’t enough, I now have to refurbish the very gorgeous me! The horror and injustice of it all.

With bravado I fought against this “change” while my kids continued to become more like me. Then someone very casually pointed out that children challenge us to become better individuals. Now this was a completely different perspective. So these changes will help me become a better person. It's not just for them and definitely not forced. Sounds so much better. Right?

I have always felt that we have children for narcissistic reasons. They are wide ranging like carrying on the family name, helping out when you are old, giving you the much hyped sip of water the you are on your deathbed, societal pressures, personal gratification and entertainment (man are they are cute!) and also the famed - it happened by accident. I am yet to meet anyone who wants children for the noble cause of raising and contributing good human beings to the society. 

However I do believe that whatever the reason once we have decided to take the plunge they are our responsibility. To a large extent we as parents decide what kind of individuals they turn into. It is upon us to ensure they are equipped enough to handle situations well and can make their lives peaceful and happy. The one way to do this is set an example.

Neither can I undo the fact that my children will have my genes- good, bad and ugly. Nor is this is process a joyride. But as they grow and become their own person, I can’t deny that the drama can be taken down a few notches. And if in the process I could lighten up a little, it is definitely win-win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplation

It’s quite impossible to explain the impact some incidents in life have on you. Suddenly, the things that seemed the most important till today become insignificant and man begins to appreciate and reconsider his stand. So unaware a being has Providence made Man that he lives every day without having the slightest hunch of what might happen the very next minute. That makes him adept at complaining, fighting and hating another. Be it on a larger level- terrorism or at a more identifiable level- being jealous of a friend. We know how it is all going to end and baffling enough don’t know when. Then why do we put ourselves (me included) through all this drama of love, hate, sorrow, anger? Why is it that we crave for appreciation? Why is it that we want to have it all when we very well realize it’s not for keeps? Why is it that we always feel that we deserve more? Why is it that even when a friend or a relative is going through a bad patch it’s still ‘I’ that matters? Why is that the

Once Upon A Time when I was ashamed of myself

It happened a few months ago when I was attending a training session for the job I had newly got. There were 3 Americans, 1 English, 1 Austrian and of course 1 Indian (me) attending the session. The task was to write down the names of all the things that we could find in the room we were sitting in, in our mother tongue. Sounded easy enough at first, but led to extreme embarrassment when I could name just 17 and everyone else in the room came up with 70 in a minute’s time. I always took pride in the fact that my English was good. But what a slap in the face it was, when for the life in me, I couldn’t figure out what we called a table in Tamil! While recuperating from the serious damage caused by this incident I began thinking… Most people associate culture and history with India. It is incredible that we have so many different religions, traditions and values. And not to forget the multitude of languages. I have often heard that what scientists in the west discovered years l

Do you have time?

Now does this happen with you? You are busy, have hardly any time to breathe and have a million things on your mind! But then suddenly out of nowhere you think of all the things you could do, had you just a breather. I for one seem to shine with creativity, come up with a million topics to write, new recipes to cook, oh! And that cupboard of mine that needs to be cleaned! Sigh if only I had the time. Finally Chronos smiles upon me giving me a weekend or sometimes even more. But then I can’t seem to recollect and I wonder. What was it that I had to write about? What did I have to try with cooking? And what about my cupboard?  Also it’s about having the accessories to work with. Like a MacBook pro wouldn’t hurt you know. If anything it’ll be such a motivation to write! Then the devil that my mind is begins to grumble and this is how I manifest it ‘I have nothing to do. I am bored’. And when I am bored what do i feel like doing? Nothing and what is the only thing I wish I had? Shock